|VISION & Mission
|The State of Punjab shares the national vision of sustainable management of forests to meet the needs of present and future generations. This vision has following characteristics:
- The total area under the forest and tree cover is increased through afforestation and landuse diversification.
- The forest resources are well protected and managed to retain their integrity and biodiversity using modern technologies and scientific knowledge.
- The forest resources are managed in an eco-sensitive and sustainable manner to optimize all types of benefits to the society.
- Forest management is effective and responsive to the society, which has a sound perception of importance of the State’s forests and participates in their protection and sustainable management.
To achieve the State’s forestry vision, the mission of the Department of Forests and Wildlife Preservation will be:
- To increase the area under forests and tree cover from present 6.3% to 15% of the State’s geographical area.
- To protect, conserve and improve the State’s forests and other natural resources for improving the quality of soil, air and water.
- To practise sustainable forestry based on sound principles of sustainable forest management through use of modern technologies and scientific knowledge.
- To protect, conserve and enhance the wildlife and remnant biodiversity resources of the State by developing a suitable Protected Area Network.
- To promote non-timber uses of forests such as eco-tourism, Non-Timber Forest Produce, medicinal plants and biodiversity.
- To practice socially-inclusive forestry and solicit cooperation and participation of the rural and forest dependent communities and other stakeholders in greening the State.
- To provide technical assistance, financial incentives and extension services to the people for promoting social forestry, agroforestry and tree farming for landuse diversification.
- To implement Government policies and programmes by adopting innovative approaches for optimizing social, economic and environmental benefits from the forestry sector to the state and its people.